Aka was in London during the riots and not for the riots. Luckily, I wasn’t affected by the disturbances, and I went about my tourist business like the hundreds of thousands of other tourists in the city, walking almost aimlessly and trying to connect the stops on bus and Tube maps. These riots were not localized to London and eventually spread to Manchester, Liverpool and a few other places. It it weren’t for TV and newspapers, the average London tourist hardly had a clue there were disturbances taking place at night around the city center. Some say these were not riots against oppression but simply a perfect opportunity to loot successfully and frequently using the mobilization potential of social media like Twitter, Facebook and BBM.
Like many modern-day riots, it was triggered by the police shooting of someone and that someone was Mark Duggan, who was either a “gangster and drug dealer, or loving family man.” The riots started while I was already in London for a few days and after seeing the prices in stores I realized why looting was so attractive to some in the UK, even the rich. It was alleged at the time that most of the looting, and smashing, and burning was being carried out by teens from the disadvantaged sectors of British society who were bored during their summer vacation but there were cases of rich teens also looting. Sky TV interviewed a few of the looters who expressed no remorse, and one happy looter said his new Sony flat-screen was working perfectly, a treat he would have never been able to afford through legal means like working. I don’t think book stores were looted or even burnt despite housing tones of flammable paper. It was as if looters had no interest in books, even bestsellers.
The strange thing about the riots was the press calling their (British) society sick not unlike what the average Trini thinks about our own society now under a State of Emergency in choice locations. At least the British has a reasonably good public transport system and great museums housing some loot plundered years ago.
- Teen charged in London riot death of retiree (news.nationalpost.com)
- Beat Rioters With Sticks in London Looters (escapistmagazine.com)
- Doctor Who’s Message To The UK Looters (loupdargent.com)
- London Riots: Wealthy Teen, Organic Chef Among Accused Looters (newsfeed.time.com)
- UK riots: Wall of looted store transformed into Post-It messages to looters (boingboing.net)
- 10 Rioters a Rioting, 9 Looters Looting (offinsierraland.wordpress.com)
- Myth Busting- UK Muslims fight to maintain British social order during the UK riots (miscellany101.wordpress.com)
- Looters left severely disappointed in hunt for precious metals in London riots (offthepost.info)
- UK riots: Scorn heaped on looters in Photoshop virals (mirror.co.uk)
- David Cameron should be HANGED for Looting the People! Κρεμάλα στο ληστή του λαού Κάμερον (omadeon.wordpress.com)