The State of Emergency has a long way to go as the police in my area seem to be arresting people in alphabetical order of the crime committed and I reported a zaboca thief.
I confronted the neighborhood fruit and zaboca thief in my yard only last Thursday and explained to him the State of Emergency and how police was rounding up everybody who in even small ways was a menace to society. The zaboca thief became quiet, and I could tell he was going through some deep introspection.
“So, for two zaboca dey go haul mih ass in jail?” The zaboca thief asked.
“Yes” I promptly replied “Even if dey don’t find the zaboca in yuh possession dey go haul yuh ass in jail and in Toruba too.”
“The incomplete, cracking up stadium dat draining the treasury and so much people get rich off and people still getting rich off ah?”
“Yes, that stadium.”
“Dey arresting de Stadium teif an dem too?”
“No, dem is bigger fish yuh see and de State of Emergency is only for big fish.”
“So wuh is dis thing about de Hyatt?”
“Dat is only for gang leaders who want to hide out with call girls and cell phones, not the arrested.”
Suddenly, he said he had to leave, mumbling something about no family down South.
“Wey yuh going?” I shouted as he skipped over the chain-linked fence and into the road with enviable ease and rod in hand.
With his back turned, he waved his hand and mumbled something about how he was late for an appointment in a nearby street. I started to wonder what the zaboca thief would do for a living now since the Government was bringing part of the national underground economy to a screeching halt, just like the official one.
- State Your Emergency (bandwagonist.wordpress.com)
- State of Emergency (ayearintrinidad.wordpress.com)
- More than 140 arrests in Trinidad’s gang crackdown (sfgate.com)
- Trinidad and Tobago State of Emergency and the Zaboca Thief (akalol.wordpress.com)
- A State of Emergency in Trinidad and Tobago!!! (trinbagodreamer.wordpress.com)
- Trinidad and Tobago Declares a State of Emergency (onebluestocking.wordpress.com)
- State of confusion (bandwagonist.wordpress.com)
- Our pick of the week: The story, the stat, the quote, the tweet (guardian.co.uk)
- Travel Notebook: Warnings on Trinidad from Ottawa authorities (thestar.com)
- Transit – Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (travelpod.com)